Accelify has been acquired by Frontline Education. Learn More →

Industry News

School Cuts Restored via Federal Jobs Bill (MA)

September 28, 2010

In the wake of a mini-windfall from the federal government, the Concord schools were able to reinstate several teaching positions that were cut from the budget in recent months.
As part of the Obama administration’s education jobs bill, Gov. Deval Patrick announced last month that the town would receive approximately $300,000 which the committee and the superintendent allocated to various school programs.
At the time the jobs bill passed, Patrick noted that he was pleased that young students "didn’t have to wait out the recession" to get a great education. Patrick called public education "one of our quintessential generational responsibilities."
Superintendent Diana Rigby said in August that the K-8 system received $157,941. With that, she proposed adding a kindergarten teacher and an assistant at Willard School. The school has seen a jump in enrollment, which one committee member said accompanied the newly built school.
Rigby said the federal money "must be used for salaries."
Rigby said the out-of-district placements for special ed students have been reduced by adding programs and teachers in the district. She said a student in the sixth grade at Peabody middle school would have a half-time teacher and an additional bus driver.
At the regional high school level, Rigby said Concord and Carlisle would get $132,844 in federal jobs funding.
Rigby said the science electives would grow by adding a half-time teaching position to keep the STEM (science, technology, electronics and math) program strong.
She also announced that the theater budget would increase, bringing a music technician online fulltime to support the music lab.
Finally, she said she would hire another high school bus driver.
&# x0A;"This funding is always welcome," said Rigby. "We are able to better support the faculty and staff.