Nixon Releases $7.5 Million in State Funding to Help School Districts (MO)
January 14, 2011
Missouri school districts will get a $7.5 million increase in state funding for transportation beginning this month, state budget officials said Thursday.
Gov. Jay Nixon released that portion of the $70 million in transportation funds he withheld from districts last year to help balance the budget.
The additional funding is available because state revenues have been stronger than anticipated in recent months, said budget director Linda Luebbering.
Another factor, she said, was the fiscal strain on districts imposed by rising fuel costs. The state subsidy aids districts in the cost of transporting students to and from school.
School districts could begin using the funds immediately to reinstate canceled bus routes or bring back programs that were ended when district funds were shifted to cover transportation costs, lawmakers said.
Nixon’s office decided to release the funds just as two prominent House lawmakers were holding a news conference imploring the Democratic governor to restore state aid for school transportation.
House Budget Chairman Ryan Silvey, a Kansas City Republican, noted the better-than-budgeted revenues and called on Nixon to release the education funds in light of the increases.
Silvey was joined by Rep. Sara Lampe, the ranking Democrat on the budget committee and a professional educator. When told that the governor had released the funds, Silvey called the move a good start.
Also on Thursday, Nixon announced increases to college scholarships awarded under the Access Missouri program.
Maximum awards will rise to $470 for community college students, $1,010 for students at public four-year institutions and $2,160 for private university students. Previously the scholarships were capped at $275, $950 and $1,900, respectively.
The increases are available for scholarships awarded during the current school year and are possible because of “careful management of Access Missouri resources and the current level of demand for the scholarships,” according to a press release.