Cuts Threaten Utah Schools for Deaf and Blind (UT)
February 7, 2011
State school board officials say further cuts in spending on education could force the closure of the Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind, leaving local school districts to provide those services themselves.
The state board voted on Friday to include the possible closure on a list of alternatives to discuss with state leaders should additional reductions be necessary.
The panel’s tentati ve list of recommendations begins with $20 million in spending reductions they suggest before taking such a dramatic step, including cuts in programs for adult education, school nursing and a performance-pay pilot program for teachers.
Among things kept off the possible chopping block so far are school busing, regional service centers that help rural districts and a statewide reading program for kindergarten through third grade.
"We don’t like or want any of these," said Debra Roberts, board chairwoman.
Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind serve about 2,000 students statewide.
USDB Superintendent Steven Noyce said eliminating the program would be a "gigantic mistake."
"It’s not like the districts can absorb those costs," Noyce said. "They don’t have the resources to start providing those services."
Roberts said the board would have to further study the option to see how much money, if any, would be saved.
Other ideas included tapping the permanent State School Fund for some interest revenue that typically is reinvested. The board voted to consider using up to $20 million worth of interest and dividends from the fund generated from trust lands through the state to directly fund current education programs.
The recommendations were requested by the Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget.
Roberts said they’d revisit the ideas at their next meeting on Thursday.